Hey my sweet crochet friends! The sun is out, I am so enjoying this. May is such an awesome month. Spring is finally, really here to enjoy. I have created another free crochet pattern for ya’ll. Enjoy this sun bonnet!
This cute little sun bonnet would be the best way to celebrate the sunshine. I am excited to share this free crochet pattern, sun bonnet with you. The crochet pattern to this bonnet is below so skip right to it if that’s how you roll!
I am in love with this comfy cotton blend by lion brand yarns. The color is called Whipped Cream. It is so soft and yummy! And it took less than a skein to make this bonnet.
If you would like to make this pattern bigger, add another row of fpdc. Just make sure you are increacing in that row!
Sun Bonnet Crochet Pattern
- Crochet hook size H – 5.00 mm
- Yarn, light #3 – less than a skein ( i used comfy cotton blend by lion brand yarns)
- Ribbon ⅜ inch (about one yard)
- Yarn needle
- Measuring tape (optional)
Crochet stitches used:
- Ch = chain
- St = stitch
- Sl st = slip stitch
- Sk st = skip a stitch
- Sc = single crochet
- Hdc = half double crochet
- Dc = double crochet
- Sc2tog = single crochet 2 together
- Fpdc = front post double crochet
Measurements of finished hat. Top to bottom 7.25 inches. Front to back 6.25 inches.
Sun Bonnet Pattern for size 6 – 9 months
Start with a ch 5. Join with 1st st to form a ring.
- Ch 1, work 12 dc into ring, join with a sl st into top of first dc. Turn (12)
- Ch 1, *(fpdc around first st, dc in same st) repeat * around, join with sl st (24) continue around. We will now be working in rounds! Do not turn at the end of your rows.
- Ch 1, *(fpdc, dc in same st, dc in next st) repeat * around, join with sl st (36)
- Ch 1, *(fpdc, ch 1, sk st, dc in next st, ch 1, sk st) repeat * around, join with sl st (12 fpdc, 48 st total)
- Ch 1, *(fpdc, ch 1, dc in both ch 1 spaces, ch 1) repeat * around, join with sl st (60)
- Ch 1, *(fpdc, ch 1, dc 3 in between the dc from the last row, ch 1) repeat * around, join with a sl st (72)
- Ch 1, *(fpdc, ch 1, 2 dc, (in the space between the fpdc and the dc 3) dc 2, (in the space between dc 3 and fpdc) ch 1) repeat * around, join with sl st (84)
- Ch 1, turn, sc in each st around and in each ch 1 space, join with sl st (84)
- Ch 1, turn, *( sc2tog, sc in next 3 st) repeat * around (67)
- – 16. Ch 1, turn, sc in each st around (67)
17. Ch 1, turn, Dc in each st around (67)
18. Ch 1, turn, sc2tog, sc in next 12 st, hdc in next 39 st, sc in next 12 st, sc2tog,(65)
19. Ch 1, sc2tog, sc around till last 2 st, sc2tog (63)
20. Ch 1, sc2tog, sc around till last 2 st, sc2tog (61)
21. Repeat row 19 (59)
22. Repeat row 19 (57)
23. Repeat row 19 (55)
24. Repeat row 19 (53)
25. Repeat row 19 (51)
26. Ch 1, sc around the entire hat to make the edges look nice.
Fasten off and weave in your yarn tail using your yarn needle.
With your ribbon, weave through your double crochet row (row 17) on the brim of the hat. I looped the ribbon under one dc and over three dc. Do what you prefer!
Enjoy your sweet bonnet!
Here is another FREE pattern for a crochet bonnet that is great for spring time wear.